At Universal Designers & Consultants, Inc. we specialize in helping our clients address their Accessibility and Universal Design needs. Clients benefit from our team’s creativity and in-depth knowledge of Universal Design, the Americans with Disabilities Act and related building codes. Our rates are reasonable and our deliverables reliable. We have time tested quality assurance programs that make certain you are getting accurate, high quality information and solutions for your project every time.
UD&C is equipped to handle a wide range of architectural, universal design and accessibility services to meet the needs of organizations, individuals and communities of every shape and size.
Below are examples of projects we have been a part of. See our Client List for a more complete list of our happy clients.
- UD&C worked closely with facilities managers, designers, and human resources in developing a survey tool to evaluate ADA compliance in addition to identifying context sensitive universal design solutions.
- Participated in conference calls with stakeholders to gather feedback on barriers in the built environment and how they may be mitigated.
- Created a survey tool, which evolved through several versions, to evaluate the compliance of train stations.
- Provided numerous training sessions covering ADA requirements, survey techniques, and use of the survey tool.
- Provides on-going technical assistance.
Great Addresses, Washington, DC
UD&C served as Great Addresses’ single source consultant throughout the company’s efforts to make its hotel properties (from Florida to Washington, DC) accessible, by developing comprehensive strategies for ADA compliance. Work has included:
- Performing regular Facility Audit Surveys and developing creative and cost-effective solutions to address survey findings;
- Developing recommendations for staff training and education to support good faith ADA compliance.
I have on numerous occasions recommended Universal Designers & Consultants to many of my industry peers including architects, engineers, attorneys and property owners, and know that they have all been pleased with their services.
–Richard A. Spigler, president, Great Addresses
Quinn Evans Architects, Washington, DC
Quinn Evans Architects called UD&C in on their renovation of historic Eastern Market to ensure that it complied with the letter and spirit of the accessibility regulations. Our role included:
- Developing historic facility access solutions for Washington DC’s Eastern Market and Franklin Square in Pennsylvania
- Conducting a focus group meeting with disability advocates to determine the appropriate responses to difficult historic preservation/accessibility conditions.
UD&C is an excellent firm that provides sound guidance on accessibility requirements. Their expertise in the field of accessibility is nearly unparalleled.”
–Thomas C. Jester, AIA, LEED AP, associate, Quinn Evans Architects
Burger King Corporation, Multiple Locations Across the Country
- Developed corporate training and customized survey tools to support corporate and franchisee facility accessibility evaluations and enhancement programs. Provided triage support as necessary.
Monmouth County, NJ Government Facilities
- Performed Americans with Disabilities Act Title II facilities surveys and developed compliance recommendations on a variety of government facilities including 15 county buildings (office buildings, courts and municipal facilities) and 10 park and recreation facilities (historic sites, regional parks, boardwalks/beaches, trails and camping facilities);
- Reviewed construction documents for accessibility issues;
- Provided Title II ADA accessibility compliance training for county employees;
- Participated in budget negotiations and value engineering processes;
- Worked with County officials to develop a comprehensive and ongoing ADA compliance strategy for existing facilities and programs and future new construction efforts.
George Washington University, Washington, DC
At the time of its renovation, the architects for the Charles E. Smith Center at George Washington University hired UD&C to assist in enhancing the accessibility features in this multi-purpose athletic and performance venue that includes retail, athletic and food service facilities by:
- Conducting a pre-renovation accessibility analysis survey;
- Conducting plans reviews;
- Performing ADA compliance evaluations;
- Proposing accessibility recommendations on planned renovations of the facility.
Contact us to start the conversation about how UD&C can help you.